What are Social Casino Games?
Social Casino Games are video games that imitate gambling in look and feel. They do not provide the opportunity to win or lose money which is why they are not covered by the Victorian Gambling Act 2003.
They are free to play and don’t have any age restrictions.
1 in 5 Australian Adolescents play Social Casino Games
How to use video games safely in schools.
Get these resources to introduce video games in your practice:
- Whole of School approach to being a ‘Safe Gaming School’
- Game development in the classroom resources
- All 16 worksheets/tools/factsheets to support teachers and wellbeing staff
- The Parent’s Workbook for Dealing with Gaming Issues
- All 14 tools/factsheets to give as resources to the families in your school.
- All 14 information factsheets in the Info Pack
- A license to use all the above resources with all families in your school
Why should you be concerned?
THEY INTRODUCE CHILDREN TO GAMBLING
Social Casino Games may facilitate a transition to real money gambling. Evidence indicates that the earlier a
child is exposed to gambling the higher the likelihood of problem gambling.
THEY NORMALISE GAMBLING.
Social Casino Games make gambling look like a fun, harmless pursuit. The odds of winning are much higher in Social Casino Games which may raise unrealistic expectations of their ability to win in real money gambling.
THEY CAN BE ADDICTIVE IN THEMSELVES.
About 1 in 10 play video games excessively and gaming addiction is now a recognised addiction. Social Casino Games can be addictive too.
Get our gambling in games factsheets
Our factsheets are easy to use and are very informative
What can parents do to keep their kids safe from gambling with virtual goods in video games?
- Discuss the risks of gaming with your child and encourage your child to reach out for help when needed.
- Don’t give your children access to your passwords. Know which games are downloaded and played.
- Have a play of the game yourself. You’ll quickly work out if the game offers lootboxes or not.
- Monitor your credit cards and look for unaccounted expenses
- Ask your child how they can best balance screen-time and real life activities. It empowers them to do the right thing.
- Let game developers and government know that you expect games to be designed safely by going to www.videogames.org.au
How children are exposed to Social Casino Games
ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Social Casino Games are advertised and can be played on social media websites.
ON THE APP STORE
Social Casino Games are some of the most popular games on phones/tablets and social media. They are promoted as ‘games’ on the app stores and social media sites with limited content warnings.
WITHIN BIGGER VIDEO GAMES
Social Casino Games can also be found with in bigger video games. E.g. going to the casino in a role playing video game.